Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kicked Out By The Midwives


At 37 weeks, the midwife center I was going to birth at decided that I couldn't birth there because of possible complications. Since they were an hour away from home, I didn't mind b/c I could just birth at my local hospital. They had me sign a records release and told me to call my local OB's office asap so they could get my records that day and schedule my appointment. The birthing center scheduled me another appointment just in case I couldn't get in quickly at the new place.

I called the local OB’s office that day and they sent in the request for my records for the OB to look over and they would call me to set-up the appointment. I called a few days later and they said they hadn't received my records. I called the birthing center and they said they would send them right over. The day of my next appointment I found out they still had not sent the records. Apparently, they needed a midwife's signature on some test results before they could be sent. I don’t know why that was not taken care of the day they told me to have the new office request the records.

Anyways, after my appointment there, rather than faxing the records, they copied them and gave me the copies to hand deliver to the other office. So, they gave me a chore. Thanks.

I went straight to the new office and dropped off the records and they said they would call me the next day. The next day the new office called to say that they could not take me on as a patient.  I was tearing up before I even got off the phone and as soon as I hung up I just started bawling. I was now 38 weeks pregnant and had no doctor.

I called a handful of offices and they all said they could not take on a patient so late in the pregnancy. I finally broke down and called the UT Medical Center that had a high risk department. I had been seeing a nutritionist there for my gestational diabetes. I hated the place though so they were a last resort. They did agree to see me. So I have an appointment…in another week and they said if I go into labor before then just to come straight there.

I am really pissed at the midwife center for deciding so late in the pregnancy that I wasn’t a suitable patient. They knew all my risk factors from the beginning. I could have been going to the local OB the whole time and saving money in gas and not getting my hopes up for laboring in the water.

Because nothing (and I literally mean NOTHING) in this whole pregnancy has gone the way I hoped, I am very worried about the birth and about breastfeeding. I wanted a drug-free, natural birth, but I know the hospital is going to try to push drugs on me and I’m not sure I will be strong enough to say no. Of course, if the baby does get stuck, not having an epidural will allow for me to move to get him out rather than having to be cut. Or, even worse, I will have to have a c-section.

And so far, I have not started producing any breast milk. My mom didn’t make enough for me when I was born so I’m super afraid that I won’t be able to breastfeed which I had planned on doing for the first nine months. Breastfeeding is better for the baby, will save money, and was supposed to be the first thing to help me on my quest to lose 100 pounds in a year.

Guess I will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment