Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Hopes for Sylar's Future

I have hopes for my son's future. I feel like I didn't have a lot of advantages when I was younger so I want to give him every possible head start on life that I can give him. There is a place in Knoxville that teaches tumbling starting at 18 months. He will be going there for as long a he likes it. I also want to get him into dance once he is older. I have always wanted a little girl to pagaent with, but if he was interested, we'd get him a suit and go looking for a pagaent with a Little Prince or Little Mister division for him to compete in.

I'm a firm believer in pagaents being good for a child. This stems mainly from my life experiences. When I was little, one of my cousins who was a couple years older than I did pagaents. I did not. I'm not sure why my mom didn't try me out in pagaents. I was very envious of my cousin though. She got to dress up like a princess. She got to ride on a convertible in our local parade. More importantly though, through pagaenting she learned to be out-going and self-confident. Those are two qualitis that you should want your child to learn as early as possible. It will affect the rest of their life.

My cousin went on to be extremely popular in school. She was involved in many extracurricular activities. People just knew who she was. I never had the opportunities she did to learn these qualities. I was shy and withdrawn. Never was popular. I received quite a lot of teasing and bullying because of that fact. I ws not in the "in" crowd so myself and the few friends I had were easy targets. That was mainly during elementary school...the time of a child's life that teaches a child what to expect in the future. It did teach me what to expect so when highschool came around my friends and I worked to stay invisble. If anyone was asked we were probably still considered "losers," but we were left alone. When I moved to Tennessee, it was even better. The highschool I went to was huge and no one knew me. So it was easy to be invisible.

Being invisble is not a life though. It keeps you from trying anything. If you have some kind of talent the last thing you want to do is show it. That would simply draw attention to yourself and I was taught in elementary school, attention brings ridicule and bullying. Until I became an adult and finally found confidence in myself, I didn't realize the potential I had. My life could have been so much more.

I don't want Sylar to live like that. I want him to be in the "in" crowd, but have the ability to recognize a bully and stand up to one. I want to give him the ability to be out-going, make friends from any walk of life, and to want to discover all his potential and all his talent and be happy to show the world what he can do. That's a good hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment