Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Postpartum Depression? Shhhh....

I had a couple set backs in my weight loss. The second week I stayed the same and the third week I had gained five pounds. I was bummed. However, this week I lost 8lbs. Yay! I have been working out every morning on the Wii (using Wii Fit) for 30 minutes and have been losing a little less than a pound a day. So that totally rocks! I love getting on the Wii in the morning and seeing my BMI drop down a little lower every day.

Therapy had went well. She said I seemed to be doing better than the first time I met with her for intake. When I got home though and told my mother, I was accused of not being truthful with the therapist. Who knew you could do therapy wrong? Apparently, I was supposed to ask her to solve a dispute on parenting between my mother and I. I told mom that the therapist is not there to give parenting advice or to side with people. I was going through a tough time then because I felt as though I was constantly having to defend myself to my mom and my husband. I enjoyed my time with the therapist because it was someone who could listen to me and understand. At home, no one listened to me, no one ever thought I had a clue what I was talking about. I was completely alone and fighting a battle that I couldn't win. The two swore they were trying to help me, but all that was happening was alienating me and hurting the confidence that I have been slowly trying to get back.

My troubles through this has made me believe something very strongly. If you are experiencing postpartum depression, DO NOT TELL THE PEOPLE YOU KNOW, ESPECIALLY THOSE CLOSE TO YOU! From the moment you do, your every move will be scrutinized and judged. The worst part I have found, is that if someone makes you mad, they will blame you being mad on the depression. Because obviously, between two people, one suffering from depression one not, the one who isn't couldn't have possible done anything wrong. The depression just makes you think so. Please note all the sarcasm.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't tell anyone, just those close to you. You should consult a therapist immediately. Get help and get better that way no one can say you are a danger to your child and trust me, they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment