Friday, October 28, 2011

Phentermine & Prozac

I saw a psychiatrist on the 20th. His only job was to decide what kind of medication I needed to be on. I told him what medications I was taking including Phentermine. He felt that Prozac was the best choice for me, but said the drug interactions between Prozac and Phentermine were ones to be avoided. If I agreed to get off the Phentermine, he would prescribe me Prozac.

When it came down to it, getting in a better state of mind was more important to me than using the Phentermine for weight loss. I agreed. That was on a Thursday. He told me to not start taking the Prozac until Monday that way the Phentermine would have time to get out of my system and just in case any bad side effects happened he wanted me to be able to come in to see him.

So I quit taking the Phentermine...and over the weekend I started gaining weight again. Not a lot. Just a few tenths of a pound here, a few there. I was bummed about this. My mom told me though that she has taken both the Phentermine and the Prozac for a while now and had no issues. So I figured I would look up the potential side effects myself and see what they were. What I discovered though was something wonderful.

Phen-Pro.

Phentermine and Prozac have been prescribed together as an effective weight-loss tool. It's slightly less effective than Phen-Fen, but much, much safer. The potential side effects are considered minimal. Most who take Phen-Pro, eat well, and exercise have shown significant weight-loss. The majority of these people are able to stop taking the drugs and keep the weight off while a small portion take maintenance doses.

Upon learning this, I decided to start taking my Phentermine again. I take my Prozac at night since it tends to make me kinda tired and I take my Phentermine in the morning before I exercise since it gives me energy. This is the first day I have done this and so far so good. No ugly side effects. I know it may take a while for them to show, but I am buoyed by the success so many others have had.

I do not intend to tell my psychiatrist when I go back to see him in 30 days that I have restarted the Phentermine, but I will tell him what I learned and ask if he had heard of it or what he thinks about it. I don't think he is aware of its use as a weight-loss tool.

I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment